Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My dog was stolen!

This past weekend I attended a Christmas party hosted by folks from our congregation.  As part of the celebration there was the traditional 'White Elephant Gift Exchange.'  You know, this is where people wrap up stuff they no longer want and pawn it off upon others wrapped in beautiful packaging.  Yet every once in awhile there is a true treasure; which once it is acquired, it's possession is constantly under threat by the infamous 'steal.'  It becomes a bit of a contest or at least a test to try to end up with something better than you brought to the party.

The gift exchange began rather benignly with people docilely choosing wrapped items from under the tree.  There were a few good natured exchanges, and then it was my turn.  The person before me had unwrapped an electronic dog that rolls around on the ground and laughs hysterically.  That individual seemed unimpressed with this gift.  Being the type of person I am, however, I fell in love instantly with the little guy and I STOLE him for myself!

Now several others had the opportunity to pick after me and this cute little bundle of joy was still clutched in my arms laughing his head off.  I thought I was safe!  Then one of the last people to have an opportunity STOLE MY DOG!!!  It was like my heart was pierced.  (Which of course brought laughter from all around the room!)  Later I learned that the new owner of MY DOG decided to name it PAL!  Oh, the irony of it all!

Since that day, I have told the story over and over again, causing others to laugh at my feigned pain.  Of course, as I later  reflected, there is a certain integrity to what occurred at that party and what we in the church celebrate at Christmas.   In the midst of the joyous and heartfelt feelings of the season, and as we celebrate new life remembering the gift God gave that first Christmas; we cannot help but sense the irony of it all.  Love pierced God's heart.  Love led Christ to the cross.  Love was the reason Jesus allowed the authorities to steal his life.  Yes, love gives us life, but there is always a cost we cannot deny.

Let us not forget in the midst of our holy hilarity that Christmas is the gift God has given us at great cost to himself.  We come away from this celebration with something more than what we bring, but it is only because God loves us too much to let us walk away empty handed.

Merry Christmas,

Pal


No comments:

Post a Comment