Thursday, November 7, 2013

Falling Into God

A couple of weekends ago I hit the deck.  I was riding my bike, must have hit some road shrapnel, and I went down hard.  I was knocked out for a few moments, and have no memory of events for nearly 15 minutes.  Even after my memory started to reboot, it took me quite awhile to start thinking clearly.  Only later was I able to acknowledge that I was in a state of shock.  Fortunately for me, I had a helmet on and friends around or otherwise I'd likely still be in a hospital today.

Each of us has times in our lives where we get knocked down, hard!  Maybe its the loss of a job, or the end of a marriage.  Perhaps we just came back from the Oncologist with a diagnosis of cancer.   We never know when these moments will arise and our vertical clearance will be lessened, but we can prepare for the inevitable eventuality.

Friends have been suggesting to me that I take up a less dangerous hobby.  I understand the desire to make things 'safe,' but life is not safe.  Preparedness for difficult times, does not mean that we live in fear of every possible danger.  If I was to give up riding, perhaps I could avoid such a danger, but I'd lose out on the opportunity to 'fly on two wheels.'  That is an exchange I'm unwilling to broker.

May I suggest that we cannot avoid all dangers, nor can we protect ourselves from all eventualities.  What we can do, however, is exercise our intelligence to minimize the harm if not the risks.  Wearing a helmet is one way to protect a cyclist from the most dangerous threat while not impeding the joy of riding.

I believe the same can be said about our experience of the Christian faith.  While some would prefer to practice a faith of do and don't as a means by which to avoid dangerous risks, I myself would rather enter into the adventure of unchartered territories armed with the tools that will minimize the harm if 'all hell breaks loose.'  That is why I choose to be a part of a faith community.  They are there to assist when trouble strikes.  They are there to offer a listening ear when my doubts nag at me.  They are the ones who are there as the surrogate wombs of faith when my faith seems lacking and nearly hollow.

I understand the people who say they don't need a church.  I get it when they say they'd prefer to worship God in some grassy field or mountaintop.  I, however, have never seen a tree nor rock embrace another when up a tree or under a rock.  The Body of Christ, on the other hand, despite it's failings, is able to do this time and time again with grace and generosity.  The church is where I hear the sweet refrain of 'Amazing Grace.'  The church, while not always true to this motif, nonetheless, it is the one who picks me up when I am down… when I have gone down hard!

While gravity has this nagging way of making itself known to all of us, I pray that you too have a community that will enter into the risk of a real relationship with one another as with God.

Peace,
Pal


No comments:

Post a Comment