Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Walking in their Mocsassins

Well, it is D-Day!  The Debt limit showdown has reached the final hours.  When my kids were young and would attempt to throw a temper tantrum, we would do our best to ignore it so we would not reinforce their anti-social behavior.  As this 'drama' has drugged on, I sometimes wonder what would happen if we would just stop reporting about what is happening in DC?  Would they stop acting like little children?

I understand that we as a nation have real issues to address.  At the heart of these issues is the question Cain brought before God, Am I my brother's keeper?  In one way or another this question continues to haunt the entire biblical narrative, as it haunts my life, my world today.

Early on, God instructed the people of Israel to provide for the widow, the orphan, and the stranger in their midst because they were once strangers in Egypt.  The prophets come along and warned those in power that their hunger and thirst for the privileged life was destroying the nation as well as insulting God.  Jesus confronted his Jewish listeners with stories of God's grace blessing those who were not among the chosen people.  Peter discovers that there is nothing unclean, and Paul pushes the church to accept Gentiles into their midst with no strings attached.

The story goes on as we hear how the early saints shared in common and showed mercy to those who were in need.  Hospitals and hospices were started by the followers of Jesus.  Again and again, it would seem that God's word written and proclaimed would without hesitation say YES, we are our brother's keeper. The bible seems pretty consistent, following Jesus is not a solitary journey of personal piety.

I believe we all recognize we need some help along the way.  I'm who I am because of my parents and my local school district's commitment to quality education.  I am fortunate to have been born into a nation that provides basic civil rights, so I do not need to fear imprisonment for posting something on the internet.  I appreciate that there is an FDA that regulates drugs so that I know that my prescription is not tainted by harmful elements.

Still the question continues, how best do we show concern for our brother or sister?  Maybe, the answer is to be found in the story of God.

We are told that God became one with us.  In other words, God didn't pretend to be one of us, but actually became one with us.  While I cannot believe that God did not know the nature of humanity before the incarnation, there is no doubt that in Jesus we see a God who is 'one with us.'  This is a God who sees our humanity through human eyes.

As we debate how best to respond to the needs of a brother or sister, before we decide, perhaps we need to do the best we can to see their life through their eyes.  Perhaps we need to, in the words of the old native proverb, 'Walk a mile in their moccasins.'   Might this change how we perceive our brother?

I wonder if those in DC did the same if the debate might be changed?

Peace,
Pal


No comments:

Post a Comment